Afghani Rice Recipe Known as
Making the Afghani rice recipe known as Qabeli Palau is simple but requires some extra time than some other Afghan food recipes. This delicious recipe known as the crown of Afghanistan food can be spelled or called differently by some people such as Qabili Palaw, Qabeli Palau, or Kabuli pilau.
If you need more information about Afghan food and culture, check out the link below at the end of this page, but first lets jump to ingredients and directions of this Afghani rice recipe.
Get the Whole spices such as cumin, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon, then grind all the masala and keep them in a jar. Place it in the freezer
so the smell of the spice can always stay fresh.
- 5 cups long grain basmati rice(Soak for 30 mins or longer)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 lb lamb shank or chicken leg
- 3 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 3 medium carrots (thin sliced)
- 5 oz red seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 oz of sliced almonds and pistachios(Optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grounded cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon grounded cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon grounded clove
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cube Knorr Boullion (halal)
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt to taste
- Finely chop the 3 medium onions, then add 5 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker over high heat and fry onions until
lightly golden brown.
- Transfer the onions in to a blinder, then blind well and leave it aside.
- Add the Lamb or chicken meat in the the pressure cooker over the remaining oil.
- Add the 2 minced garlic, salt and stir consistently until both side of the meat is pinkish brown (5 minutes)
- Add the blinded onions, 3 cubes bouillion, 2 drops of Browning sauce, and 1 teaspoon of the grounded mix masala (cumin, cardamom, clove, cinnamon)
- Stir the ingredients for another 5 minutes add 1 cup water. Meanwhile taste the flavor of the broth and if needed, add some extra salt.
- Let it cook until meat is soft and tender for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Check out the meat and see if the gravy sauce has to been slightly thickened and some oil is floating on top. If so, remove the meat from
the sauce and set aside.
Cooking Carrots and Raisins
- Slice the carrots in to thin long pieces (5-10 cm), then place a frying pan over medium heat and add 5 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the sliced carrots in the pan and fry for 4 minutes or until medium soft. Stir the carrots a few times so it doesn't burn.
- Add 3 tbsp brown sugar, a pinch of cardamom with 2 tbsp water, then cover the top until sugar has melted. (Stir time to time)
- Add raisins over the carrots and leave for 3 minutes, then remove in a bowl and sit aside. (If you use the optional nuts, add it along the raisins over the carrots)
Afghani Rice Recipe Directions
- Fill a medium-size pot halfway with water and bring it to a complete boil over medium heat.
- Add the rice and cook for 4 minutes (test the rice to see if its soft on the outside and still firm, but not brittle, inside.)
- Strain the rice well using a strainer and rinse with some lukewarm water if available.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil in the pot and add the drained rice back to the pot.
- slowly pure the gravy sauce over the rice and mix from the bottom first, so you don't break the rice by mixing too much.
- Place the cooked meat in the center of the pot and add the remaining of the palau masala (4 spices) over the rice.
- Add the prepared fried carrots and raisins on a corner of the pot over the rice to re-warm.
- Cover the lid with a kitchen towel, then place it over the pot and steam for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Bring out the fried carrots and raisins out in a bowl, then gently mix the rice with a flat spoon so they get apart.
- Add a few spoons of rice on the plate and place the meat in the center, then add more rice on top.
- Spread the carrots, raisin and nuts if available over the rice.
- Serve with an Afghani sauce dish.
This is a revised version of Afghani rice recipe or Qabeli Palau. In Afghanistan, people use fried sugar or onions to brown the rice and some of the ingredients here are newly added. For the first time cook, it might seem a lot of work but if you make it over and over, then it will be easy.
We hope that you understand the directions on how to make qabeli palau at home.
Do you have a specific food that you love and know how make it? Share your recipe here, and we will publish it on this web site. Make this Afghani rice recipe and enjoy.